Sunday, August 30, 2009

GREAT ARTICLE ON SOPHIE TUCKER IN TODAY'S NY TIMES!

UPDATE (9-3-2009): I received this disc today, and it is most excellent. The transfers, in keeping with Archephone's standards, are superb. (There's hot stuff here. Anyone who thinks recorded jazz began in 1917 should hear Sophie's 1910 Edison recording of "That Lovin' Rag.") And the book-package with liner notes and photographs is delightful. Buying just the mp3s means you're missing plenty.

Here it is, celebrating Soph and the new Archeophone release of her early recordings.

2 comments:

3button Max said...

andy really enjoying radiola- assume our pal sager in on the sophie tucker-
thanks -I had never heard the early Norvo solos w/Goodman

mike karoub

Andy said...

Mike,

Thanks--I'm glad you're enjoying the shows!

I just bought this CD last night. If I get it by Thursday, I'll program a few tracks for this Friday.

The Norvo recordings are incredible. They were a little too modern for Jack Kapp of Brunswick, who nearly blew a gasket when he heard them. But they're undeniable classics.

Andy