Friday, December 07, 2007

"Year-End Crunch" December 7, 2007

(Week 102)

I'm back this week to interrupt the hockey season with a new RADIOLA! It's an all-shellac edition this week, and the biscuits start spinning at 8 PM ET on WHCL 88.7 FM.

The Revelers – Lucky Day (1926) – Victor 20111-A
Vincent Lopez and his Casa Lopez Orch – Hello, Bluebird! (1926) – Brunswick 3368-A
Ipana Troubadors – Wake Up! Chillun, Wake Up! (1929) – Columbia 1779-D
Cliff Roberts and his Orch – Breakaway (1929) – Cameo 9193
Ross Gorman and his Orch (Dahlhart, vo.) – The Prisoner’s Song (1926) – Columbia 563-D
Jacques Renard and his Orch (JM) – You Went Away Too Far (1927) – Victor 20487-A
Columbia Band – Liberty Bell March (1901) – Columbia A116
Rhoda Bernard – Roll Your Yiddish Eyes At Me (1916) – Victor 17994-A
Al Jolson – ‘N Everything (1917) – Columbia A2519
Guy Lombardo and his R. C’ns w/Kate Smith – River, Stay ‘Way From My Door (1931) – Col. 2578-D
Noah Beery w/The Vitaphone Orch – The Whip (from “Golden Dawn”) (1930) – Brunswick 4828
Ted Wallace and his Campus Boys (SB) – Huggable, Kissable You (1929) – Columbia 1938-D
Miss Patricola w/The Virginians – Lovin’ Sam (1922) – Victor 18976-A
Harry Jentes – The Cat’s Pajamas (1923) – Okeh 4850-B
Lou Gold and his Orch – Sweet and Low Down (1926) – Harmony 98-H
Alfred Lindsay – Valse Lucille (1940s?) – Wilcox-Gay Home Recording Disc
Unknown Singers – The Whiffenpoof (1940s?) – Rock-Ola Safety Rim Home Recording Disc
Henry Busse and his Orch (Richard Barry) – I’m Thru With Love (1931) – Victor 22677-B
Mills’ Merry Makers (Al Shayne) – Moanin’ Low (1929) – Pathe Actuelle 37027A
Kate Smith – Grievin’ (1931) – Clarion 5228-C
Earl Shirkey and Roy Harper – When the Roses Bloom for the Bootlegger (1928) – Col 15326-D
Ruth Etting – If I Could Be With You (1930) – Columbia 2300-D
Nat Shilkret and his Orch (SL) - Susianna (1928) - Victor 21996-B
Edith Clifford – Yes Flo! (1927) – Columbia 901-D
Lonnie Johnson – From a Wash Woman on Up (1931) – Okeh 8898
Duke Wilson and his Ten Blackberries (Henderson) – How Am I Doin’? (1932) – Perfect 15603-A
Leo Reisman and his Orch (FM) – Out of Nowhere (1931) – Victor 22668-A
Hal Kemp and his Orch – Shadows on the Swanee (1933) – Brunswick 6616
Ruby Newman and his Orch – Without My Walking Stick (1938) – Decca 1893-B
Les Brown and his Duke Blue Devils – Swamp Fire (1937) – Decca 1231-A
Vincent Lopez and his Casa Lopez Orch – I’m On My Way Home (1926) – Brunswick 3368-B

5 comments:

Nick Dragos said...

Andy.....

Another very interesting mix!

Although I'm a hot 'n' heavy jazz & swing fan, I very much appreciate your inclusion of other vintage musical styles...marches, pre-1920 recordings, hot dance discs...these really open up your shows and enlighten your audience...great work once again!

Andy said...

Thanks! Most of this program came from a huge ebay lot that I won in November. I spent two days washing off the dustier records in the sink and another day or so making transfers.

I still have many hundreds of 78s to transfer, from various ebay lots, kind donations, and my media midden. Add to that the CDs and LPs, and I can keep the show going indefinitely.

I'll try to work in a bit more swing and hot jazz in the next program.

Nick Dragos said...

Andy....

I'll be listening, either by stream or podcast, to each program...don't go jazzing/swinging anything up unless you're "In The Mood" to...

I haven't even begun cleanup/transfers of my 78s..just too many of them....

By the way, just for opinion's sake...what are some of YOUR candidates for hottest classic jazz record???

Andy said...

This is a tough one. In early jazz, I like stuff that is poignant as well as hot--like "Skid Dat De Dat" by Louis Armstrong's Hot Five.

For pure heat, you can't beat "Doctor Jazz Stomp" by Jelly Roll Morton, "Papa's Got the Jim-Jams" by Oscar "Papa" Celestin, or "Shake It and Break It" by King Oliver.

I'm very partial to some of the records in which Eddie Lang takes a "hot" role, like "Anything" by Napoleon's Emperors or "That's No Bargain" by Red Nichols.

This is one field in which it is hard to choose favorites--there are just so many of them.

Nick Dragos said...

Understandable, Andy....

I tried to answer my own question after I asked you, and dozens of hot sides jumped out at me....gems like "Hello, Lola" by The Mound City Blue Blowers {gotta love the hot tissue & comb!}...well, I'd better not start up again here....

Now...why an I not shocked you named Celestin's "Papa's Got the Jim-Jams"? Excellent side!

What has always fascinated me was the near-complete repudiation of Red Nichols by most jazz critics & historians over the years...I still remember the incredible slight of one of his tasty recordings included in a jazz trumpeter anthology...and the liner notes commented on each artist except Red. Amazing!

I thought Red Nichols' body of work was substantial and much more than credible...and I send my praise once again for your inclusion of his work on "Radiola!"

His hot version of "Margie" remains one of my 20's highlights...yes, he was not Louis Armstrong...hell, besides Louis, who was? Red was a true pro who could swing - differently than Louis, Bix, Red Allen or Jabbo Smith - but he could play hot...and, sorry, Bix idolizers...he could sight read professionally, led successful bands of various sizes, and gave work to great young jazz stars...some who hated his guts, but took the paychecks.

Keep on swingin, Andy...what's on tap???