Friday, October 21, 2005

"Turn on the Heat" (October 21, 2005)

(Week 15)

It's getting a bit brisk here in upstate NY. The music was played with the intention of warming things up a bit; undoubtedly it must have. As for me, I was a bit off kilter, for sundry reasons. Since it should be all about the music anyway--and the music was great--I'll let the music suffice. (I've managed to edit out most of my rambling for the Live 365 archive version, which is now posted.) There's much to enjoy here:

Russ Carlson and the High Steppers – Everyone Says “I Love You” – The Old Masters mb115
Frank Trumbauer and his Orch. – Turn on the Heat – The Old Masters mb108
Ocarina Soloist – William Tell Overture – Columbia 78
Fats Waller and his Rhythm – I Believe in Miracles – Bluebird 07863 66618-2
Bennie Moten’s Kansas City Orch. – Imagination – Classics 591
Fletcher Henderson and his Orch. – Wang Wang Blues – Columbia/Legacy C3K57596
Clyde McCoy and his Orch. – Smoke Rings – Collectors’ Choice CCM-155-2
Ted Weems and his Orch. – My Baby Just Cares for Me – Collectors’ Choice CCM-174-2
Jimmie Grier and his Orch. – Ooh, That Kiss – Take Two TT421CD
George Gershwin – Clap Yo’ Hands – Pro Arte Digital CDD443
James P. Johnson – All That I Had is Gone – Classics 658
Charles “Cow Cow” Davenport – State Street Jive – Javelin CWNCD2008
Annette Hanshaw – (I’m a Dreamer) Aren’t We All? – Take Two TT408CD
Vaughn de Leath – I Wanna Be Loved By You – ASV Living Era CD AJA5002
Bessie Smith – On Revival Day – Timeless CBC 1-054 JAZZ
Savoy Orpheans -- Vo-Do-Do-De-O Blues -- Avid AVC539
Jimmy Johnson and his Orch. -- Chicago Blues -- FROG DGF35
Jimmy Johnson and his Orch. – Put Your Mind Right on It – FROG DGF35
Lord Invader – Caro at Point Cumana – Rounder CD 1054
The Lion – The Vendor’s Song – Rounder CD 1142
King Radio – John O’Carr – Rounder CD 1077
West End Jazz Band – A Sailboat in the Moonlight – Legacy 2K 105
Casa Loma Orchestra – The Dance of the Lame Duck – Hep CD 1051
Benny Goodman and his Orch. – He Ain’t Got Rhythm – Bluebird 5630-2-RB
Southern Negro Quartette – Anticipatin’ Blues – Columbia 78
Emmett Miller – Lovesick Blues – Columbia/Legacy CK52831
Jimmie Rodgers – Blue Yodel No. 9 – Columbia/Legacy C4K 57176
King Oliver and his Orch. – I’ve Got that Thing – JSP CD3404
Bessie Smith – I’m Wild About that Thing – Excelsior EXL-2-5317
Abe Lyman’s California Orch. – Shake that Thing – ASV Living Era CD AJA5002
Charles Fulcher and his Orch. – My Pretty Girl – Timeless CBC 1-038 JAZZ
Ben Pollack and his Orch. – Keep Your Undershirt On – Jazz Oracle BDW8026
Cab Calloway and his Orch. – It Looks Like Susie – Masters of Jazz MJCD182

No comments: